Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Motorcycle general discussion » General Bikes Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rebuilt, homebuilt any experiance?
 Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009, 17:55 

no, the only way to do that would be to buy a frame from HD with new vin

In Ontario, rebuilt bikes cant be registered if they have been branded write-offs. This one was frame checked, and Certified by a HD Dealership and given the new Homebuild VIN... I still have to check something with the MOT, because they have special rules as well

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009, 08:37 

Hmmm... might be opening a can of worms here but I have purchased a write off bike that was bought back from the insurance company by the owner. I purchased this bike, and had no problems whatsoever in putting it back on the road. Was this because the dealership wasn't involved in the sale and it was never offiicially "branded"? Who knows. As for home built status, approx '01 there was a big change in insurance policies re: home built bikes. Some were grandfathered in (as was my '00) , some were refused recognition as it was not an official brand and others were offered utility(?) insurance which was at a grossly overinflated rate. eg. My 2000 was approx $800 a yr, a friends home built a year later was approx. $3800 for Liability only. Not sure of the insurance companies but I'd definately do homework.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ---Dr.Seuss

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009, 16:33 

To I backed away from the bike today.

Why?
- a 2007 HD road glide, PL PD and Fire theft was $1200/yr

This Bike (great ride and I loved it BTW)
- 2006 HD Road Glide Home built
- Waterloo insurance, State Farm, AXXA would not touch it
- Kingsway wanted $1700 for PL and Fire and theft only
- Manta Insurance wanted $1300 PL and Fire
- Another one wanted $1500 for PL and Fire Theft, and I had to supply a third party evaluation of the bike
What two borkers told me is that I can get insurance today... no guarantee that I will be able to next year as companies are backing away from that market

The dealership was pretty hard and fast on $12900 for the bike, they would not budge

So its back to Ebay, where I am looking at a road glide, 2007 with only 12K miles

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009, 17:42 

Sorry it didn't work out. Sounded like a good deal. Too bad the insurance companies are so hard to deal with. Good luck on EBay.

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009, 20:16 

A lot of the insurance company's rating criteria is established from the USA and they've had a lot of salvage vehicles from floods etc. the last few years. Even if the motorcycle has been inspected and certified as a sound machine, most won't touch it. However, custom motorcycles still get an exception but, their premiums have huge multipliers involved based on the value of the machine. That's why it's best to just part out a salvage machine no matter how easy and cost effective it is to repair. You'll always pay one way or the other. Low price to buy, high price to insure.

Sucks for sure.

Good job for researching it out and posting the experience for others to beware.

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009, 07:13 

You'll be better off in the long run. Sometimes a deal can be a nightmare.

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009, 16:10 

Just out of curiosity, I was looking at several bikes on eBay. There are a lot of "cheap" bikes listed as salvage and quite a few as salvage-repairable. Anybody know what that means in terms of licence/insurance in Ontario?

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009, 18:33 

JimBob,

Here is a link to the MTO website. Check section D, point 3.

Looks like you can't register them here in Ontario. There is also a disclaimer at the bottom of the page for a little more information.

JMHO, steer clear.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... vehicle13b

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009, 18:47 

Well.....
If it is registered elsewhere as salvage you will have issues getting it into Canada and lic in Ontario.

If it is repairable you will need to take it to a number of places to get it declaired roadworth,,, if you keep an unbranded ownership, insurance will not be an issue.

Plus when you import a veh you need a carfax report and a report from the vendor that says its recalls are uptodate and was not flood damaged

check here

http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx
Salvage vehicles are vehicles that have been damaged beyond economical repair due to collision, natural disaster, accident, trespass or other occurrence as determined by a licensing authority or a licensed insurance provider.

All U.S. brand information on imported vehicles is acquired by RIV as part of the registration process. Vehicles in this category will have U.S. titles indicating the salvage status or brand. This information is verified by RIV through U.S. databases, and the salvage brand will be made available to all provincial and territorial licensing jurisdictions in Canada through the Interprovincial Records Exchange (IRE). A salvage status on a vehicle may severely limit your ability to get the vehicle licensed and insured in Canada. You should contact your jurisdictional licensing authority for more information.

Salvage or rebuilt salvage vehicles can be licensed in Canada provided the original damage was not flood-related and the vehicle is admissible under Transport Canada’s List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States. All licensing jurisdictions in Canada require a second rigorous structural integrity inspection for U.S. salvage vehicles to verify that the necessary repairs have been done to make the vehicle road safe.

Salvage or rebuilt salvage vehicles can also be imported into Canada as parts-only vehicles through a Vehicle Imported for Parts Form Form 3 regardless of the source of the damage. However, once a vehicle has entered Canada on Form 3, it can never be licensed in Canada.
Fees for salvage vehicles

$195.00 + GST and QST for vehicles entering through a border crossing in Quebec

$195.00 + GST for vehicles entering through a border crossing in any other province

More information on branding history.

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009, 18:55 

here is more from the MOT... basically says dont buy unless clean

Quote:
My motorcycle has a brand in another jurisdiction. Now I want to register it in Ontario. What will happen?

All imported motorcycles previously branded “salvage”, “rebuilt” or an equivalent brand will be branded “irreparable” when registered in Ontario. This means that the vehicle will never be eligible to be driven on Ontario’s roads.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Motorcycle general discussion » General Bikes Discussion